Advertisement

Haribol

topic posted Fri, March 25, 2005 - 1:55 PM by  Boyelektric
Share/Save/Bookmark
What does this mean ? I notice a lot of ppl use it as a greeting, kind of like hello. Is that what it is ? what is the actual translation ?
posted by:
Boyelektric
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Haribol

Fri, March 25, 2005 - 2:03 PM
    Hari name of Krishna "one who takes away" If God likes you He gives you everything but if he really likes you He'll take everything away so all you have left is Him. Bol or Bolo 'to chant" Haribol" chant the name of God Not to be confused with Hare which is Hara or Radha the femine aspect of God.

Fri, March 25, 2005 - 3:29 PM
      If god likes you ? There has to be a better way of wording that, but I understand what you're saying..

Anyways, thanks for the clarification. I'm still a little confused as to how the word is used. As I mentioned it seems that most ppl say this as a salutation. Is that the standard use of the word ? Or is there really no particular context for it's use ?

Thanks again.

Fri, March 25, 2005 - 9:46 PM
        The word “haribol” is typically used by devotees as a greeting, both coming and going. It’s used synonymously with “hello” and “goodbye”, as an exclamation like “amen”, and as a means of inquiry, like “what’s up?”. The term is more properly used during kirtan (devotional chanting & dancing) as a joyful exclamation and encouragement for all to chant the nectar names of God.

Hari Haribol!

Recent topics in "Krishna Consciousness"